Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Going to Belize

This Friday Elise and I, along with some other leaders from our church, are taking a team of 28 students and adults to serve in Belize for ten days. While there we will be helping to build a home, lead a VBS program, assist in upkeep at the orphanage we are staying at, and various other projects as they develop. This is my second time going, but for many who are on the team it is their first trip to this South American country.

I am so excited to be a part of this team again because the last time I was there I truly felt God calling us to serve the people of this country. My heart was moved by the generosity of the people living in a third world country, their love for others, and their love for life itself. I was humbled by how blessed I am and I truly saw God work in the lives of our team and the people we served. In the end it was us who were served by the very people we went to serve.

In three days I will be back in that amazing country and I am immensely looking forward to it! God has already done so much for our team. We have been praying hard for this trip and it has been awesome seeing the prayers answered. Here are a few of the answered prayers God has provided for us:

  • Our team is fully funded! We met our goal before our deadline and people have been more than generous.
  • Our team is unified and excited about what is in-store for us. Tonight is our last team meeting before we head down and everyone is excited for this.
  • We are preparing for our VBS program and have all the supplies and teaching teams assembled. 
  • The construction team is excited and ready to build a home for a family that deserves it. 
  • Our flights and hotels have all been finalized and we are ready to depart this week.
  • God has continued to alleviate any fears and hesitations that anyone has.
  • Our team need a specific type of bug spray to help prevent against any Zika strain, and we were able to get a great deal through the company. But God further provided as gracious donors provided all the money needed and the team owed nothing out of pocket!

These are but a few of the ways God has answered our prayers, and we believe He will continue to answer more as we go into Belize shortly. I would love to have you pray for us as we head down to serve this week. Here are some requests that we have:
  • Pray for continued unity for our team.
  • Pray that our team adjusts well to the heat and humidity.
  • Pray that we have joy even if there are frustrations.
  • Pray that we serve and love well. We have been learning as a team that we aren't going to fix a country or its people but rather to serve and care for them. Pray that we remember that.
  • Pray for safe travels and our luggage to arrive on time. 
  • Pray that we can be flexible as things change.
This is an amazing opportunity for us to go to Belize and serve God. I am so excited and believe that God can use trips like this to grow our team, and also to help others see the love of Jesus. I cannot wait to see what God does and I hope to update you as soon as I return. I will be posting to our youth's Facebook page throughout the week so feel free to look there for updates. We also have a page on our website that will feature updates, photos, and blogs from the team so feel free to check this out periodically. 

Mission work is near and dear to my heart and I am incredibly privileged to be a part of this team and am hoping that through this trip we can serve God and the people of Belize. This will be a time to truly be the hands and feet of Jesus and I couldn't be more excited!

Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And, behold, I am with you always to the end of the age."


No comments:

Post a Comment